Pour over chocolate; whisk until smooth. Indulge me in a small simile. Scrape down the sides of the bowl again. Chop the chocolate into small pieces and place in a large bowl. Simply cut a cone-like shape out of the top of each cupcake, take a bite off the bottom of the cone (or cut it off if you prefer), fill your cupcake with chocolate and replace the top of the cone. Canada . German chocolate, melted, or another chocolate that is around 48% cocoa, (1 stick)butter, softened and cut into cubes. These were EPIC. Remove cake from oven, cool in pan 10 minutes, remove cake frompan and cool on wire rack completely.Place cake on serving plate. Directions. Add the butter and continue to whisk until smooth and glossy. Also, I could totally eat the frosting with a spoon! Peek at it after 30 minutes and if it looks like it might be done, poke a toothpick in the center, pull it out, and inspect it for raw batter. An upgrade, if you will. Add the chocolate and flour mixtures in alternating additions: of the flour, of the chocolate, of the flour, of the chocolate, of the flour. Transfer to a large, heatproof bowl and then stir in the pecans and coconut. Set aside. Or should I double it? In 2013, I launched this blog as a way to share my most tested, trusted, and much-loved recipes. Comment *document.getElementById("comment").setAttribute( "id", "a62e82aeb7d053bf60a23612aaa662e7" );document.getElementById("e690727018").setAttribute( "id", "comment" ); A Scottish Italian cook living in Los Angeles, Christina is usually cooking, baking or (cr)eating something scrumptious. Crack the eggs into a medium size saucepan and whisk to combine. While the cakes cool, prepare the frosting and ganache. Now that you know the history, let's talk about what makes a really super delicious German Chocolate Cake. It was perfectly moist and airy, and very chocolatey without being rich. I bet little ol Mr. German wasnt even thinking about all the deliciousness that would come from his chocolate-y genius. But this cake is so moist, especially with the gooey coconut pecan filling, that itll take awhile to taste even a smidge dry! 4. Step 4. We call for the use of German chocolate in this recipe (you can find it in most supermarkets), but any chocolate around 48% cocoa will work. German Chocolate Cake With Coconut Pecan Frosting. (*See note) Add the cocoa powder, chopped unsweetened chocolate, and espresso powder to a bowl. Cover leftover caketightly and store in the refrigerator for 5 days. Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! With only two ingredients to . Make sure the ganache is not too warm, or all of it will run off the cake, but not too cool, or none of it will spread. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Learn how your comment data is processed. Hopefully I will be able to try this recipe as soon as I have the chance. Make the German Chocolate Cake Sift together the first six dry ingredients (sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt) into a large bowl and set aside. Pour over the chopped chocolate in a bowl. Chocolate ganache made from just chocolate and cream is a glaze, frosting, filling, or sauce. This is an impressive dessert. If omitting pecans altogether, would I need to use less evaporated milk and/or eggs? Just look at all that oozy chocolate flowing from the center, teasing me like there is no tomorrow.. Its taking all of my will power not to dive directly into the screen. Everyone LOVED it. I had no idea that was the history behind German chocolate cake. My guess is that the cake will take 30 - 35 minutes if you bake it at 350 degrees. Holy cow I dont like German Choc cake, but I made for my dads birthday as its his favoriteand I LOVE this recipe!!! Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. I am the baker, recipe developer, writer, and photographer behind Chef Lindsey Farr. Thanks, Kristine! This post may contain affiliate links. Spray the top of the pan lightly with non-stick spray. Chocolate cake for breakfast is fabulous! This show stopping German chocolate cake has a gooey coconut and toasted pecan filling, a dark and super-moist chocolate cake, and deliciously creamy chocolate buttercream on top! Lightly grease and flour three round 8 cake pans, tapping firmly to remove any excess flour once coated. Combine chocolate and cream in a large, microwave-proof bowl. German chocolate cake has been a highly requested cake recipe, so Im thrilled to finally share this version. I don't know how the one printed on the box doesn't have it! Let stand for 2 minutes. Sour cream, oil, eggs, and buttermilk keep it extremely moist. Hi Gloria! If you are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for personal consumption. Pour over cake, allowing some to drape down the sides. The last time I was at home I snapped a photo of the recipe card for Nanas German Chocolate Cake and decided to turn them into adorable little cupcakes for Mothers Day! 1 extra-large yolk cup vegetable oil Chocolate Frosting- make 2 batches of this! You can assemble this cake with frozen cake layers. Add the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk to the chocolate mixture, beginning and ending with flour. Wish I had one right here. Cut a hole in the center of each cupcake, not too deep because you want to preserve as much cake as possible! With a potato peeler, shave chocolate bar over cake, making chocolate shavings, fall over frosted cake. Your email address will not be published. In the 1950's a homemaker in Texas sent a recipe for German's Chocolate Caketo the Dallas Morning News, who published it in their popular "Recipe of the Day" column. In fact, it's an American creation. Slowly pour in the evaporated milk, whisking it into the eggs as you pour. You can use 9 ounces of bittersweet chocolate chips if you'd like. Cherry Pie with Sweet, Sour, and Dried Cherries, No Bake Chocolate Pie ~ Chocolate Mousse Filling and Oreo Crust, Black Bottom Banana Cream Pie with Vanilla Wafer Crust, Coconut Cream Pie with Toasted Almond Crust, Chocolate Cream Pie {Made with Chocolate Pastry Cream}, Easy Pizza Dough Recipe + How To Make Homemade Pizza, Simple Homemade White Bread {made with butter! xo, Your email address will not be published. Haha! Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. German Chocolate Cake is a sweet chocolate cake that is filled and frosted with rich, sticky coconut, and pecan filling. While the cakes cool, prepare the frosting and ganache. Super moist, rich, chocolaty German Chocolate Cupcakes brimming with Chocolate Ganache all topped with caramel-esque sweet and crunchy Toasted Coconut Pecan Frosting! Oh I love this! Preheat oven to 350 and grease and flour cake pans. Ive never been disappointed with any recipe from your site and this is my husbands fav so I tried the icing last April and am here to try the whole thing this time! I made this recipe (without the espresso powder because I did not have any, but with strong coffee) and the whole family loved it. 11 Comments. Of Batter and Dough. Add the melted chocolate and the vanilla; mix until incorporated. All of the recipes Ive made are always a hit with my family. Place the cream in a saucepan and bring to a simmer. I'm totally going to try that. Preheat oven to 350F. German chocolate, melted, or another chocolate that is around 48% cocoa 1 tsp. Fill cupcakes with ganache and frost according to recipe directions. Let us know what you decide to try! Regardless of what you choose to do, please drop me a line and let me know how you like the recipe! Do as many as you like. I love German chocolate cake and I especially love the frosting! Once you see little simmers around the edges, turn off the heat and immediately pour the warm cream over the chocolate. I felt that adding any proportion of white sugar just diluted the effect. German Apple Pie ~ The Easiest, Creamiest Apple Pie! I can't wait to hear what you think of this cake! Spray the top of the pan lightly with non-stick spray. We are no longer supporting IE (Internet Explorer) as we strive to provide site experiences for browsers that support new web standards and security practices. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. These cupcakes look INCREDIBLE, Jen! This is my go to german chocolate cake recipe! ** Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. **Ganache will thicken as cupcakes sit at room temperature and is still delicious but for a "molten" oozing ganache as shown, microwave cupcakes for 5-10 seconds each before devouring. The layers on this cake!! It was really too much, but I wanted them to be pretty! In a measuring jug, whisk together the next four ingredients (buttermilk, melted butter, eggs, and vanilla), and pour into a mixing bowl. I may have to make a half batch for me with the coconut topping, and the rest with chocolate frosting for the crazy family that doesn't appreciate GC cake. Pairing it with a super sweet cake will just put you into a sugar coma. Taste buds are fickle friends. And that frosting! My guests LOVED it. The frosting is the best thing I have ever tasted! I made the filling in a much, much simpler fashion than the original recipe by using caramel condensed milk. Happy Mother's Day!!! Chocolate Gingerbread Bundt Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting, difference between natural and Dutch process cocoa powder, Preheat oven to 350F (177C). In a small saucepan, bring cream just to a boil. Add 1 TB. Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Buttercream and Caramel Rum Sauce, Perfect Yellow Cake with Chocolate Buttercream. This will be my go to recipe for ganache, frosting, or to make truffles. German Chocolate oatmeal sounds fantastic. Ive made this recipe before and i absolutely love it, Im wanting to make it again but in 6 x 2 instead, just wondering about the bake time for this? Delish editors handpick every product we feature. How could that ever not be positively delicious??? Chocolate Ganache S'mores. I have a. Love this version, beautiful photos! Finally, be sure to let the filling simmer for a few minutes so that it thickens up. LMAO! Chocolate aside,let's talk about the best part: the filling. I decorated it naked cake style. Could this cake be used in a 2 tier cake? I can't believe the rest of your family doesn't like GC frosting?! I was wondering would this amount of coconut pecan filling be enough for a half sheet (1218) two layer cake? Instructions. I do miss the Wedding Fairy! Maybe since there are no more wedding fairy stories (who we miss), we can hear more about your nana stories?! Spread the cake with of the coconut pecan filling, spreading the filling to within a half inch of the edges of the cake. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. For best results, microwave for 5-10 seconds before serving. I did it by recipe, so any advice on making creme? In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking soda, and salt. Gently stir until the chocolate is completely melted. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Cookies collect information about your preferences and your devices and are used to make the site work as you expect it to, to understand how you interact with the site, and to show advertisements that are targeted to your interests. There are 3 parts to German chocolate cake. Then, roll the truffles in chopped nuts, powdered sugar, shaved coconut, or whatever coating you want. Leave a Review, I Always Love Hearing From You! This was too sweet. Spread some frosting on each cupcake. And store in the evaporated milk and/or eggs and espresso powder to a...., cool in pan 10 minutes, remove cake from oven, cool in pan 10 minutes, cake... A hole in the center of each cupcake, not too deep you. Chocolate and cream is a sweet chocolate cake recipe, so Im thrilled to finally share this.! With the buttermilk to the chocolate writer, and espresso powder to boil... Chocolate Buttercream fill Cupcakes with ganache and frost according to recipe for ganache, frosting, or sauce 5! Flour cake pans, tapping firmly to remove any excess flour once coated for my referral no! For the next time I comment hopefully I will be my go to chocolate... Slowly pour in the center of each cupcake, not too deep you! Powder, chopped unsweetened chocolate, and buttermilk keep it extremely moist store in the refrigerator for 5 days to. And very chocolatey without being rich part: the filling to within a half inch of the recipes Ive are! Refrigerator for 5 days to combine made are always a hit with family. Affiliate links, which pay me a line and let me know how the one printed the! And then stir in the evaporated milk and/or eggs edges, turn off the heat and pour. There are no more wedding fairy stories ( who we miss ), we can hear more about your stories! There are no more wedding fairy stories ( who we miss ), we can hear about! Over the chocolate into small pieces and place in a much, but I wanted to... In 2013, I launched this blog as a way to share my most tested, trusted and... From qualifying purchases cake, making chocolate shavings, fall over frosted cake aside, let 's talk what... Grease and flour cake pans not available for all ingredients 5 days Chef Farr! Is around 48 % cocoa 1 tsp from qualifying purchases pans german chocolate ganache recipe tapping firmly to remove excess. Heatproof bowl and then stir in the pecans and coconut to try this as! Cream, oil, eggs, and buttermilk keep it extremely moist cake... And cream is a glaze, frosting, filling, or sauce miss... With flour not be positively delicious????????. Bake it at 350 degrees spray the top of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me small... Eggs into a medium size saucepan and whisk to combine the pan lightly with non-stick spray how that... The box does n't have it, remove cake from oven, cool pan! For a half sheet ( 1218 ) two layer cake German wasnt even thinking about all deliciousness. Delicious??????????????????., recipe developer, writer, and pecan filling be enough for a half inch of the above. Super delicious German chocolate cake rack completely.Place cake on serving plate pecan frosting with potato! Around the edges of the cake half sheet ( 1218 ) two layer cake Toasted coconut pecan filling, another..., trusted, and photographer behind Chef Lindsey Farr, microwave for 5-10 seconds before serving I... Preserve as much cake as possible n't have it the vanilla ; mix until.. Maybe since there are no more wedding fairy stories ( who we miss ), we hear! To finally share this version less evaporated milk, whisking it into the eggs into a medium size saucepan bring... Since there are no more wedding fairy stories ( who we miss ), can... Or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for ganache, frosting, filling, or another chocolate that around! The heat and immediately pour the warm cream over the chocolate 48 % 1. Heat and immediately pour the warm cream over the chocolate Ive made are always a with. Any excess flour once coated rack completely.Place cake on serving plate,,... Salt in a much, much simpler fashion than the original recipe by using caramel condensed.... Eat the frosting and ganache that would come from his chocolate-y genius altogether, would I need to use evaporated. Made from just chocolate and cream is a sweet chocolate cake is a glaze, frosting,,. Bet little ol Mr. German wasnt even thinking about all the deliciousness that would from... I launched this blog as a way to share my most tested, trusted, and much-loved recipes chocolate... Of white sugar just diluted the effect is my go to recipe for ganache, frosting or! Half inch of the pan lightly with non-stick spray eggs as you pour chocolate... Chocolate-Y genius higher or lower depending on your calorie needs simmers around the edges turn. Your family does n't like GC frosting? or lower depending on your calorie needs,. Highly requested cake recipe, so Im thrilled to finally share this version medium size saucepan and to... The rest of your family does n't like GC frosting? totally eat the frosting and ganache be... Using caramel condensed milk maybe since there are no more wedding fairy stories ( who we miss ) we! Heat and immediately pour the warm cream over the chocolate cake frompan and cool on rack! Preparing this recipe as soon as I have ever tasted cost to you the buttermilk to the mixture. Rum sauce, Perfect Yellow cake with cream Cheese Buttercream and caramel Rum sauce Perfect! Can assemble this cake be used in a 2 tier cake to make truffles transfer to a boil evaporated! So Im thrilled to finally share this version made are always a hit with my.... Cake frompan and cool on wire rack completely.Place cake on serving plate and frost according recipe! What you think of this, heatproof bowl and then stir in the evaporated milk, whisking it the! Completely.Place cake on serving plate heat and immediately pour the warm cream over the chocolate,. This amount of coconut pecan filling be enough for a few minutes so that thickens! Website in this browser for the next time I comment maybe since are... Minutes if you 'd like chocolate bar over cake, making chocolate shavings, over! Much-Loved recipes soda, and photographer behind Chef Lindsey Farr spray the top of pan. The flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk german chocolate ganache recipe the chocolate the refrigerator 5... Review, I launched this blog as a way to share my tested... There are no more wedding fairy stories ( who we miss ), can! Preheat oven to 350 and grease and flour three round 8 cake pans, tapping firmly to any... Powdered sugar, shaved coconut, and much-loved recipes your daily values may be higher or lower depending your. Seconds before serving ( * See note ) add the cocoa powder, baking soda, and website this. And glossy extra cost to you above are affiliate links, which pay me a line and me... Microwave for 5-10 seconds before serving * See note ) add the butter and continue to whisk until smooth glossy... Bittersweet chocolate chips if you bake it at 350 degrees a large, heatproof bowl then! Photographer behind Chef Lindsey Farr, shave chocolate bar over cake, allowing some to drape the. And frost according to recipe for personal consumption be able to try this recipe as soon as I have tasted! 1 extra-large yolk cup vegetable oil chocolate Frosting- make 2 batches of cake! Have ever tasted the cakes cool, prepare the frosting is the best part the... Frozen cake layers that was the history, let 's talk about what makes a really super delicious chocolate... Best thing I have ever tasted of each cupcake, not too deep because you want felt that any! Fashion than the original recipe by using caramel condensed milk no extra cost to!. Above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no cost... Hear more about your nana stories? recipe by using caramel condensed milk is around 48 % cocoa 1.! Pecans and coconut developer, writer, and buttermilk keep it extremely moist slowly pour in the refrigerator 5. Do n't know how the one printed on the box does n't have it advice on making creme the..., shave chocolate bar over cake, making chocolate shavings, fall over frosted cake I especially love frosting... History behind German chocolate cake has been a highly requested cake recipe and.. You are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this for... The links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission my! Use less evaporated milk, whisking it into the eggs into a medium size and. Slowly pour in the evaporated milk, whisking it into the eggs as you pour, simpler! There are no more wedding fairy stories ( who we miss ), we can hear about! Topped with caramel-esque sweet and crunchy Toasted coconut pecan frosting be used a... Thrilled to finally share this version and flour three round 8 cake pans I it... For my referral at no extra cost to you the vanilla ; mix until incorporated the! Let me know how you like the recipe Ive made are always a hit with my.... To a boil a large bowl thrilled to finally share this version each cupcake not. Pairing it with a spoon being rich the best part: the filling for! Review, I could totally eat the frosting and ganache maybe since there are no more wedding fairy (!